by Friedrich Schiller, in a new version by Peter Oswald
April 19–May 6, 2012
Dusty Loo Bon Vivant Theater
Two Queens, one kingdom, and one thrilling play. Freidrich Schiller wrote Mary Stuart in 1800; it’s classic romantic drama. But it’s also strikingly modern, a heady rush of passion and power in a political world that looks a lot like our own.
Queen Elizabeth has imprisoned Mary, and she would like the Queen of Scotland out of the way. But it’s not that easy; in fact it’s an awkward situation. All these men in suits are hanging around--some loyal, some devious, some spineless. Spine matters. It’s a rough business. Eventually a head will roll, but not before a suicide, a failed rescue plot, and a heart to heart, face to face collision in the rain.
Mary Stuart is a dream come true for two of the best actresses in the land, and for theater goers who are ready for what theater used to be: rousing, beautiful, and heroic. It’s a great bubble bath of blank verse with just a little bit of the best soap in the world thrown in. Well, more than a little bit: it’s hot, wet, rich, and oh so refreshing!
Mary Stuart is sponsored in honor of Bob Johnson.
*Member, Actors Equity Association
- Claire Warden*Mary
- Jane FrommeElizabeth
- Steve EmilyPaulet
- Steven Cole Hughes*Dudley
- John FitsGibbonBurleigh
- Steve WallaceTalbot
- Calvin Thompson*Mortimer
- Jason LythgoeDavison
- Karl BrevikO'Kelly
- Leah Chandler MillsKennedy
- Tom ParadiseAubespine / Melvil
- Phillip GallegosDrury / Officer / Sheriff / Kent
- Murray RossDirector / Artistic Director
- Drew MartorellaExecutive Director
- Ryan NeelyProducing Director / Stage Manager
- Roy BallardTechnical Director
- Russell ParkmanSet Design
- Lloyd SobelLighting Design
- Alex RuhlinSound Design / Master Electrician
- Betty RossCostume Design
- Andrea SpraycarProps Master
- Leah Zhoge-DixonCostume Shop First Hand
- Lauren DugginCostume Shop Manager
- Jennifer JonesAssistant Stage Manager
- Emilie GreenAssistant Stage Manager